Monday, May 11, 2009

Bibi Cards






Here's one of the bibi cards that I had to re-create for my Electronic Communications class. My professor gave me a bibi card from a Scientific American magazine, and I had to create duplicates of it in QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign. These images are of my Adobe InDesign card.

Something that worked really well in these bibi cards was the images. I think they look almost identical to the images in the original version of the bibi card. I was really glad that I was able to find the exact same pictures online, and then put them in the bibi card in the same positions--the angles and the sizes are both the same as the hard copy.

Something that did not work as well as I would've liked was the fonts. Actually, a lot of the fonts look nearly identical to the original, but others are a little off. The "40%" on the backside, for example, is a little different than the one on the real copy of the bibi card. I spent a lot of time looking through all the fonts, going through the Suitcase Fusion, and experimenting with different techniques and I was never able to match it perfectly. The one that I used in the end seemed to be the most similar to the real copy.

I am most proud of how the area where the reader (or potential subscriber) would fill in his/her information. In both InDesign and QuarkXPress this area looked very similar to the original. At first it was a little bit daunting, but after doing all the measurements and figuring out the spacing, it wasn't too difficult and it looked really good.

However, that was also the most difficult aspect of this project. I had to measure all of the lines, look for the closest-fitting font, and then do all of the spacing. It took a lot of time and it was really tedious. It was extremely frustrating trying to make everything in this section look like the original.

Finally, if I had more time, I think I would've gone through even more fonts in an attempt to get the perfect match. There were just so many different fonts, and so many different techniques that I could apply to them, that it would've taken several days to go through them all. Doing so would've been unrealistic, but it would've been nice if I could've found the exact match. Still, I'm really happy with the fonts and the overall look of my bibicards.

No comments:

Post a Comment