Monday, May 4, 2009

Soundslide script

Here's the script for my final project in Electronic Communication.

Some of my earliest memories include running up and down a small, secluded beach with my three sisters. Tanned to a golden brown from the summer sun, we would wake up early to go boogie-boarding, skip lunch to build sandcastles and search for crabs, and play wiffle-ball until well after the sun had set.

We were at Breakwater Village in Point Judith, Rhode Island. The park where, decades earlier, our dad had spent his days in the same manner. It’s a small trailer park located on an even smaller beach, and it’s the place where my family has spent weekends in the summer since my great aunt and uncle bought the park in the 1950s.

I can remember my sisters and I would anxiously anticipate the three-hour car drive from our permanent home in Buxton, Maine to southern Rhode Island. Come Friday afternoon, we would have our bags packed and our snacks prepared as we frantically rushed our parents to do the same. Once they finally had, we’d all pile into our blue Town & Country van with our dog and commence our journey. After about an hour all the kids would be asleep, dreaming of the ocean and the warm sun that awaited our arrival.

Sadly, those days gradually ended as we got older and my sisters left for college. As the baby of the family I was the only one still available to accompany my parents to the beach. I started spending more time with my Breakwater friends, staying up late to play manhunt and huddle around bonfires on the beach.

It was around this time when I discovered another passion apart from Breakwater Village: surfing. Though I’d been introduced to it before, it wasn’t until this time that I became obsessed with it. Whenever there were waves, my friends and I would paddle out to a spot called the “K”. There, I collected many scars as a result of the hard rock bottom. But at the same time I also collected a lot of memories and formed a love for and a deeper connection with the ocean.

Nowadays, I still spend my summers in Breakwater village, though there have been some significant changes. Our once TV-free trailer has been replaced with a wi-fi accessible park model. Careless days spent splashing in the water have been taken over by long shifts in hot restaurants, serving clam cakes and chowder to visiting tourists. But that doesn’t mean my feelings for Breakwater have changed.

It’s still where my family gathers for functions. Sisters who have long since relocated to New Jersey, Florida, and northern Maine still find time to celebrate the 4th of July and birthdays in Pt. Judith. Our parents still make us hotdogs and potato salad for lunch, and we still spend some afternoons lazing on the beach, barefoot, tanned, and loving where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment