Thursday, April 16, 2009

Brochure



Here's my brochure for Iggy's Doughboys and Chowder House. For this assignment we had to choose a business/attraction that parents visiting RWU might want to visit. I chose this restaurant because its doughboys are hot and delicious and I think a lot of parents, if they had access to a yellow Iggy's brochure, would visit the Warwick location and agree with me.

I think the yellow background of this brochure worked really well. Professor O'Connell said that yellow would stick out in a sea of dark colored brochures, and I totally agree. Also, I picked a more subdued yellow that's supposed to represent the sand (since Iggy's is primarily a seafood restaurant, located on Oakland Beach). I think the yellow will grab people's attention, but is not too bright or offensive to their eyes.

Something that did not work as well as I would've liked was the items in the menu. Since Iggy's has several different food options, I wanted to include as many as possible. I think it would've been helpful and aesthetically pleasing if I had fewer items with brief descriptions. However, I thought it was important to include all of their different items.

My favorite part of this brochure was the inside background, a lighthouse at dusk. It's just a really pretty picture, and it ties well into the beach-y theme of Iggy's.

The most difficult aspect was also the inside background of the lighthouse. The picture was not large enough to fill the entire 8 1/2" x 11" paper, so I originally had to copy a sample of the background and paste it on the remaining space. This created a line across the paper and did not look professional. To fix this, I had to import the image of the lighthouse into PhotoShop, change the proportions, take a stamp of one of the colors, and color the empty space. It took a while, but once I was done it looked much better and the line no longer existed.

If I had more time, I think I would have added a little more decoration, especially to the front cover and to the borders of some of the pages. I tried to at first, but it looked a little busy and confusing. I would have like to experiment with adding subtle decorations that didn't overpower the text/pictures.

Still, I was really happy with the overall look of my brochure. It was a little bit difficult to figure out all of the measurements and folding, but once we did it as a class it was a lot of fun to make a professional brochure!

No comments:

Post a Comment